Nicholas S. Kamau, ESQ.
As a seasoned attorney with a wealth of experience, Nicholas Kamau truly brings an edge to the Legis Group and to his clients’ cases. Through his education and work history, he has built tremendous knowledge, skills, and a record of success as a premier trial attorney.
Nick focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation. He is a tireless advocate for his clients and has dedicated his career to counseling and fighting for his clients’ interests.
Education and Background
Nick earned his law degree and graduated as a Dean’s Fellow from Howard University School of Law in Washington, D.C. Early in his career, Nicholas served as Assistant Public Defender at the Defenders Association of Philadelphia. There, he achieved victories for hundreds of clients.
After leaving the Defenders Association, Mr. Kamau’s star continued to rise as he carefully curated his work experience and built an outstanding groundwork of legal knowledge. To hone his skills as a trial attorney, Mr. Kamau spent several years working at a leading litigation firm, studying and arguing the law while protecting clients in legal matters.
During the administration of President Barack Obama, Nick served as Democratic Counsel for the Congressional Oversight and Government Reform Committee under Congressman Elijah Cummings. In that role, he worked on important issues including Voter Protection, President Obama’s Affordable Care Act, Medicare Expansion and Renewable Energy Expansion, to name a few.
Over the course of his career he has been admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, California, Colorado, the District of Colombia and the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
In addition to his legal prowess, Mr. Kamau is a leader in the legal and civic community. He serves on the Board of Governors of the Philadelphia Bar Association and served as the Board Chair in 2020. Additionally, he served as the Co-Chair of the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Government and Public Service Committee from 2016 through 2018. An engaged member of the community, Nick sits on the Board of Directors for the Wynnefield Residents Association, on Board of Trustees responsible for the upkeep and preservation of Mother Bethel AME Church, founded in 1791, on the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee at Waldron Mercy Academy, and is a member of the North Philadelphia Participatory Defense Hub where he provides support to individuals and families involved in the criminal justice system.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Faculty Member – National Institute for Trial Advocacy (“NITA”)- Building Trial Skills
- Program Director – Trial Advocacy for Child Welfare Attorneys- Philadelphia City Solicitors Office
- Presenter – Practical Civil Rights Laws for the Community – People’s Law School, Temple University
- Moderator – Ethics for Government Attorney’s - Philadelphia Bar Association
- Moderator – Addressing Mass Incarceration From the Perspective of District Attorney, Larry Krasner and Chief Public Defender, Keir Grey–AME Speaker Series
- Author – Gov’t, Public Service Have Their Perks – Philadelphia Bar Reporter
- Author – House Oversight Committee – Exporting Liquefied Natural Gas